Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Adolescence





picture courtesy: Radli



As I stand and stare before the mirror,
I see something sprouting out of my sides.
Shocked I see I have florescent wings like those of a butterfly.
I flap them wildly and feel my feet rise above the ground,
Harder and harder I flap them, now im floating in the air,
And scream with joy upon this newfound experience.

The vast blue sky is lit up by the sun's slanting rays,
I feel the freshness of air and the gale upon my face,
Swerving and turning I fly past pine trees who sway to
the tunes of the whistling wind,
Chirping of birds are heard echoing across the vast green plains.

As I spot a group of sparrows, I realise i've shrunk to their size,
I make a perfect landing upon a bright flower standing upright.
Oh! so soft its petals feel, as I slide down upon them
Just as I immerse myself with this unimagined happiness so everlasting,
I come face to face a young man with handsome features.
I try to reach his outstreched hands but his face begins to blur

Suddenly everything around me is shaking,
No, im beginning to shake, im confused
I recognise my old surroundings, im in my room
A shrill scream from my mother, wakes me up from my slumber
I heave out of bed and walk towards the mirror,
Hopin to see my wings again, but there's no sign of them.
I know im in the Real World now
Wishing I could merge both my Worlds,
Grudgingly I prepare myself for yet another day which goes on routinely as ever..



 
PS: Wrote this poem years ago, when in college. Had this habit of doing everything other than studying during the study holidays :D ...Hope you guys like it.

5 comments:

  1. Cute magic of colorful imagination. :) Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Chandrika and welcome to my space:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this dream because it very well personifies adolescence, the very beginning of it to be specific. Sprouting of wings, feeling your feet rise, flying over the serene landscape, finding a partner. Though you were woken up from this dream abruptly, I think the message is very clear. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete